This road-going ‘Zeppelin‘was built in 1938 by Maybach-Motorenbau GmbH in Friedrichshafen with a body manufactured by Spohn in Ravensburg. The car weighs 3.6 tons and achieved a maximum speed of 170 km/h. As a four-door limousine, this ‘Zeppelin’ was licensed for five passengers; the front and back seats could be separated by a glass pane. The exhibited limousine is in prime condition and has only a few new spare parts. It had two previous owners in the United States and came back to Germany in 1985, sold by an American car dealer. In 1996, the registered association which supports the Zeppelin Museum (the ‘Freundeskreis zur Förderung des Zeppelin Museums e.V.’) acquired it and donated it to the museum.
The engine of the Maybach ‘Zeppelin’ has twelve cylinders with a total stroke volume of 8 litres and a capacity of 147 kW (200 h.p.). The engine is equipped with an eight-gear preselector Maybach transmission. The engineering design for this ‘battleship’ was based on the Maybach engines for the airships LZ 126 (1924) and LZ 127 ‘Graf Zeppelin’ (1928).
Head of Zeppelin department:
Dipl. Bibl. Jürgen Bleibler
phone: +49 / 7541/3801-23
fax: +49 / 7541/3801-81